an enlightening quiet lunch...
an enlightening quiet lunch...
The George Brothers, me, Dave, Carl, and, Ken, met for lunch at Daddy Jack's at 96th and Meridian in Indianapolis on a budding spring day last May. My wife, Regina (RG), and, Ken's wife, Jody (JG), and, cousin Norma (Liz), were also there to break bread with us. For as long as I can remember, I have referred to Norma as Liz because back in the day she reminded me of Elizabeth Taylor.
HUH? What's up with that?
A short time after we were seated, we ordered appetizers and they arrived 15 minutes later. Calamari is my favorite choice at this particular rendezvous.
Chit chat and small talk prevailed as we considered lunch options. Fried cod from Daddy Jack's own seafood store next door, steak sandwiches, salads, and, Reubens were all bandied about by the seven of us. Often heard while we perused the menu were these routine, but essential, questions: where is my phone? have you seen my glasses? and, where did I put my car keys?
A few minutes after Ken told the server to come back in a little while, Dave launched a hand grenade.
What do you all think of this war in Iran? he asked.
We should get out, Carl advised as he sipped his iced tea.
Nah, we can't leave until we get those communists, Dave countered. Communists are everywhere, he further claimed. There's probably one working at my barbershop. Who knows?
Communists in Iran? There aren't any communists in Iran's government, but, I don't know about your barbershop, Ken said.
There isn't any Middle East country that's communist, I added.
Don't kid yourselves, Dave pushed. Look around you! They are even in Syria!
Syria leans towards Socialism, but, they aren't Communist, Carl countered . You've got that wrong.
Boy, if our grandparents could hear this conversation, Liz opined as she shook her head. And, if they were here, I couldn't tell them about their country, could you?
When you think about it Norma, your grandparents lived through some tough times too, RG added. I'd like to think I could do what they did, but, I don't know if I could have done it.
Their tough times were not as dangerous as our tough times today, Dave challenged. Norma, would you pass the calamari?
You might have a point there, Ken teased. Two World Wars, the Great Depression, fleeing a Civil War in their own country, a months long, crime ridden boat ride to come to America. Sounds easy peasy to me.
As I understand it, they didn't know the English language either, chipped in JG. Not to mention coming to a completely different country with unknown customs and laws.
Jody, what would have been a nightmare is if we had gone over there, Dave proclaimed. Now, that would have been a real problem. What with cultural differences, language. You name it.
Uh, Dave, I don't see what the difference is, a perplexed Carl ventured.
And what about this nutcase up in New York? Don't tell me he's not a communist, Dave challenged. This Mandidummy guy?
Mamdani, Carl laughed.
He's a Socialist Democrat, not a communist, Ken declared. Anyway, let's change the subject. I am more worried about climate change than any perceived communist.
That is fake news, Dave burst out. All that talk has probably been started by the air conditioning companies to sell more units. Communists? They are real and you guys better listen to me. Climate change? Nothing is as hot as when we grew up right here in Indianapolis in the 50s.
How do you explain ice caps melting, coral reefs losing their color because of the temperature change of the water, icebergs melting, and global warming temperatures? asked Ken.
How do you know that's all happening? a shocked and perplexed Dave asked.
Because we see it every night on the news, I answered. You just watch that one network.
Icebergs are melting? I've seen those coral reefs. Are they really losing their color? Dave quizzed. I had no idea. Jeez, that's kind of sad.
Just then, the server returned.
What is the special today? RG asked.
Well, the chef has concocted a special dish. It's a cross between an omelet and a quiche, he smiled. Everyone says it is quite delicious. It is shaped like a quiche, but, like an omelet, it has all kinds of goodies in it.
What does the chef call this special dish? she further asked.
Chef Enrique calls this one, Humble Pie.
Perfect, Carl jumped in and pointing to Dave said, One slice over there.
Coming up: an oddities, observations, & ?'s; a what's the story, and; a man called joe.
And, finally: I would like to meet 14 year old Jory Thomas. It would be cool to shake hands with him and tell him how proud I am of him.
He is learning to lasso cattle on his grandparents ranch in Wyoming and he says his skills have improved since he started practicing every day.
Last July 4th, he was riding horseback along the Yellowstone River when he heard cries for help.
Four people were in a raft that struck a bridge pier and all four were thrown into the river. Three made it to safety, but, the fourth was being swept downstream.
Jory waded into the river chest high and let loose with his lasso. His first throw was successful as the rope went around the man's arms. Jory, with the help of another bystander, was able to pull the man to shore.
Another testament to how great today's teen generation is performing.
HUH? What's up with that?
Comments